An opportunity has become available at Azzalia for a talented and enthusiastic fashion designer.
The primary function of this role is to develop a collection based on a brief provided by the creative director. The position will require strict timeframes and demonstrate a flair for design and an eye for color.
The applicant must have a feel for textiles and an understanding of sewing and production methods. They need to be able to translate ideas into sketches of people wearing clothes in addition to translate these drawings into digital form using Adobe Illustrator.
Advanced sewing skills and a strong sense of fashion are critical skills for an assistant to have. Ideally their sense of fashion will coincide with the looks the head of design is creating. Once a finalized garment is going to production the assistant will be in charge of providing hand and computer rendered versions of the design and overseeing that they are completed correctly by the manufacturer, this may include receiving a garment sample or even visiting the production house. Strong communication skills are necessary, because they will likely be the primary liaison for the designer for scheduling and planning.
Communication and teamwork skills are also key, so the candidate can work smoothly with the internal and external production team.
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic and emerging designer to be part of a popular and expanding label.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work under a creative director and with external and internal production teams.
• Create a mood board based on latest trend reports for assigned lines.
• Design hand sketches based on inspiration and mood board approved by the creative director and suggest adequate fabrics.
• Obtain approval of all sketches from creative director.
• Once sketches are approved, the designer must prepare patterns and prototypes of the approved sketch.
• The designer must submit a costing of the development of the samples before implementation that needs to be approved by creative director.
• Once costing is approved the designer can start developing the pattern followed by prototype and create adequate size chart/grading.
• The designer needs to submit all fabric, beads and accessories requirements to be ordered to create the sample.
• Based on the fabric the most appropriate finishing also must be proposed.
• If prototype was approved the style can go for final stitching using the final fabric.
• If the final product was approved the designer must transform the hand sketch to an illustration format, flat sketch and create the technical pack with all accurate sizing and graded pattern to have it ready for production.
• Ensure that all the quality of production is checked, example Hemming, inner stitching, measurement.
Skills and Specifications
• Degree in Fashion Design
• At least 3 years’ experience as a fashion designer and production development role in couture and ready to wear.
• Fluent in English and strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Expert in pattern making and grading
• Must be a good listener and pay attention to what others are saying and take their suggestions into account.
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
• Hard working as the conceptualization and implementation process takes a long time.
• Design and visualization skills, by hand and through computer software.
• Strong technical skills in Illustrator/PhotoShop for preparing technical drawings, garment construction and pre-production.
• An eye for colour and a feel for fabrics and materials.
• Creative and innovative with the ability to generate ideas and concepts as will be required to push the creative director and design team inspirations into wearable designs.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
• Commercial awareness and business orientation.
• Confident, passionate and the ability to negotiate and to influence and motivate people in the team.
• Strong organizational and time management skills as need to schedule and deliver in a timely manner.